The CBD COP 13 will be held on 4-17 December, in Cancun (Mexico).
The main objective of the conference is to negotiate agreements and commitments that give impulse to the conservation and sustainable use of biodiversity, as well as the implementation of the Strategic Plan for Biodiversity 2011-2020 and the Aichi goals.
In the context of the COP 13, it will be also held various events, exhibitions, presentations, fairs, forums (business, civil society, youth, indigenous people and local communities, cities and subnational governments, among others).
In the main plenaries of COP 13, Member-States parties to the Convention will discuss the progress achieved so far, as well as new decisions and resolutions to be adopted.
For the official programme of the Conference and related documents, visit CBD webpage.
ADVISORY COMMITEE OF SUBNATIONAL GOVERNMENTS (AC SNG)
The AC SNG was established in 2010 (CBD Decision X/22, from COP 10, in Nagoya), approving the Plan of Action on Subnational Governments, cities and other local authorities for biodiversity (2011-2010).
Initially, the AC SNG achieved important outcomes, especially in the follow-up of a meeting in Barcelona, hosted by Catalonia in 2012. The encounter set in motion the Work Plan 2013- 2015, which included different agreements and 7 detailed actions, including 3 specific projects Integrated and aligned biodiversity planning”, “Ecological Footprint on Global Biodiversity”, “Nature Conservation Criteria in Land-use Planning Policies”. The AC-SNG has always counted with the active participation of some key subnational governments, such as Catalonia, Quebec, Rhones-Alpes, São Paulo and Aichi. Additionally, nrg4SD Secretariat also has always been committed to achieving the main goals of the Committee, playing the role of facilitator and coordinator.
During 2014-15, the AC SNG structure and engagement in the Global Partnership on Local and Subnational Action for Biodiversity & Statutes was discussed a lot, under the leadership of the Secretariat of the CBD and some proactive members voluntarily involved. Today, the Secretariat of the CBD foresees the continuation of the AC SNG, and affirms to be ready to support the leadership and proactive participation of subnationals.
Taking the opportunity of COP13, nrg4SD will convey a meeting of the AC SNG. The network will encourage members’ engagement and promote a renewed work plan for the upcoming years, also envisaging its expansion and further transparency in the works of the Committee.
REGIONS FOR BIODIVERSITY LEARNING PLATFORM
During COP 13, nrg4SD will launch the Regions for Biodiversity Learning Platform, a longterm project to support the implementation of the Convention of Biological Diversity (CBD) at the subnational level, especially the Strategic Plan Strategic Plan for Biodiversity 2011- 2020 and the Aichi Targets. The Learning Platform will promote mutual learning and technical exchange on biodiversity strategies and actions plans (BSAPs), and on thematic areas of common concern and interest of member participants.
nrg4SD developed a pilot project upon the suggestion of the Secretariat of the CBD. The pilot counted with five committed members: Catalonia (Spain), Goias (Brazil), Gossas (Senegal), Quebec (Canada) and Sao
Paolo (Brazil). This initial period ran from May to November 2016 and was considered very successful. Exploring innovative facilitation and in person exchange methodologies, it allowed participants to peer-review and know more about the innovative actions and challenges faced by other governments of the same level.
The Learning Platform will be launched during the 5th Global Biodiversity Summit of Cities and Subnational Governments, Sunday – December 11th.
FIFTH GLOBAL BIODIVERSITY SUMMIT OF CITIES AND SUBNATIONAL GOVERNMENTS
The 5th Global Biodiversity Summit of Cities and Subnational Governments is an official parallel event to the CBD COP13 Cancun, Mexico from 10 to 11 December 2016, organised by ICLEI with ANAAE and CONABIO. The Summit will gather ministers, governors and mayors from around the world to engage directly with national leaders from 195 countries and their key stakeholders on city and state level actions to mainstream biodiversity solutions into the new global development framework. Within the Summit, nrg4SD will:
● Participate actively and promoting participation of its members;
● Launch the Regions for Biodiversity Learning Platform, inviting all subnational governments interested to join.
More information about the Summit is available at this link.
HIGHLIGHTED PARALLEL EVENTS
● Wednesday 7th December – 13:15: Nature-based Solutions for Thriving Urban Communities. Room Asia and the Pacific Regional Group Meeting, Sunrise Building, Second Floor.
● Friday 9th December 15:00 – 17:00: Biodiversity “Community of Practice” meeting: Friends of Cities – based on the principles of the previous Global Partnership. At the Moon Palace (room tbc).
● Friday 9th December evening (time and venue TBC): VIP High-level meeting closed round table discussion (only invited Governors, Mayors and Ministers). During this meeting it will be discussed the final declaration of the Summit of Cities & Subnationals, as well as the decisions and documents of COP 13 that concern subnational governments (nrg4SD can arrange the invitations for your authorities, please confirm us your availability as soon as possible).
● Saturday & Sunday 10-11 December: 5th Global Biodiversity Summit of Cities and Subnational Governments “Mainstreaming biodiversity where nature matters most”
– Saturday 10th December 09:00 – 18:00: Opening and First day of plenaries
– Sunday 11th December 09:00 – 17:00: Launch of Initiatives and Closing
14:00 – 16:00 *** Launch of Regions for Biodiversity Learning Platform ***
● Saturday 10th December 13:00 – 14:00: Lunch meeting – joint statement by Aichi Prefecture. Room to be informed in the Moon Palace.
● Monday 12th December 18:15 – 19:45: The Contribution by Subnational Governments toward Aichi Biodiversity Targets – Appeal by the Group of Leading Subnational Governments toward Aichi Biodiversity Targets, organized by Aichi Prefecture. Room side-event 2, Universal building.
● Monday 12th December 14:00 – 17:00 – Room TBC: Working meeting of nrg4SD Regions for Biodiversity Learning Platform
● Tuesday 13th December 13:15 – 14:45: nrg4SD SIDE EVENT “The Advisory Committee of Subnational Governments: work program 2013-2015 and beyond”. IGOs Group Meeting Room Sunrise Building, Second floor.
nrg4SD circulated calls for members interested in being accredited to the COP 13 as part of the network’s delegation. Those that requested should have received a confirmation letter from the Secretariat of CBD. In case you have not received the letter please contact nrg4SD Secretariat as soon as possible.
If you are still not registered for the Conference, at this point we suggest you contact your national government, as national delegations have more flexible conditions for registration.
In any case, please contact nrg4SD Secretariat to inform of your attendance.
Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort Cancún
Carretera Cancun-Tulum Km. 36.5,
Fracc. Tamul, 77500 Cancún, Q.R
Mexico does not issue visas at any port of entry. Therefore, these arrangement must be concluded before the travel. However, please notice that a list of countries are exempted from visas to Mexico, including if you hold a valid passport from Canada, the United States of America, Japan, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, or a visa Schengen, or if you have an APEC Business Traveler Card (ABTC) approved by Mexico.
Besides, multiple countries do not need visa for entering Mexico for short stays. For the list of those countries and further information, please visit the official webpage of the Conference.
All the COP13 events will take place at the Cancun Moon Palace, which is located only 10 minutes away from Cancun Airport. Therefore, organizers of the COP recommend participants to stay at that hotel.
Agreements for special rates with this and other hotels have been established for COP13 Participants. Further information about the accommodation is available at this link.