Subnational governments have a critical role to play in addressing climate change and ensuring concrete results of adaptation actions. They have authority over key aspects of climate policy, including energy, transportation, and the build environment, and play a fundamental role enhancing coordination and cooperation across all levels of government.
RegionsAdapt is an opportunity for regional governments to:
- Join an ambitious global group of subnational governments who are pioneer in climate change adaptation;
- Have a platform to showcase their regional actions on adaptation;
- Establish an extensive communication with other governments, offering and learning best practices;
- Become part of a global, standardized reporting system;
Take part in CDP’s global reporting system and
join over 71 states and regions, 5,600 companies,
and 533 cities, that already measure, manage and
report their vital environmental information.
Services To Participants
RegionsAdapt provides different resources and opportunities to participants, including:
- The Secretariat, which offers support to interested and participating governments in English, French, Spanish and Portuguese;
- Working groups established around the key priority areas of the initiative, gathering RegionsAdapt signatories upon their interests;
- Webinars to discuss transversal topics related to climate adaptation open to all member regions, organised together with partners;
- Networking opportunities organised to foster exchange and help participants to be part of a community of practice;
- Events alongside major conferences to raise awareness about the initiative, its opportunities and the benefits of action;
- Call for Projects for RegionsAdapt participants who are also nrg4SD members;
- Materials and publications foster the visibility of participants’ adaptation activities.
Synergies with other Initiatives
RegionsAdapt works closely with UN bodies and other key partners to ensure synergies with other initiatives, particularly:
- Marrakech Partnership on Global Climate Action: The RegionsAdapt is actively involved in the Partnership and part of the Human Settlements Content Group;
- Nairobi Work Programme: nrg4SD as the Secretariat to the RegionsAdapt is one of the partner organizations of the NWP, supporting it in producing and disseminating information and knowledge on adaptation to climate change;
- UNFCCC NAZCA portal: RegionsAdapt is working with the UNFCCC to ensure that relevant data collected on state and regional government climate action is fed into the NAZCA portal (Non-state Actor Zone for Climate Action);
- Local Government and Municipal Authority Constituency: nrg4SD as the Secretariat to the RegionsAdapt is part of the LGMA Constituency to the UNFCCC, aligning forces with other city and region networks accredited to the UNFCCC.
- Exchange of best practices within the key priority areas identified by the regions;
- Co-funded projects for RegionsAdapt participants;
- Global Map of participants’ adaptation strategies and plans;
- Publication of a compilation of case studies and best practices;
- Development of a guidebook on regional adaptation;
Including data on regional adaptation initiatives into the NAZCA database.