RUN-UP TO COP 22
The twenty-second session of the Conference of the Parties (COP22), the twelfth session of the Conference of the Parties serving, as the meeting of the Parties to the Kyoto Protocol (CMP12), as well as the launch of the Agreement’s governing body, the meeting of the Parties to the Paris Agreement (CMA) will be held in Bab Ighli, Marrakech, Morocco from 7-18 November 2016. For the President of the COP22, H.E. Minister of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation, Salaheddine Mezouar, this conference is an “opportunity to make the voices of the most vulnerable countries to climate change heard, in particular African countries and island states. It is urgent to act on these issues linked to stability and security”.
COP22 WILL BE ONE OF ACTION
After the Paris Agreement at the last COP in Paris, this COP is focused on action items to achieve the objectives related to adaptation, transparency, technology transfer, mitigation, capacity building and, loss and damages. On 5 October 2016, the threshold for entry into force of the Paris Agreement was achieved. The Paris Agreement will enter into force on 4 November 2016. Until now 87 Parties have ratified the Agreement. This include the biggest and smallest emitters, the richest and the most vulnerable nations. The entry into force now signifies the urgent need for the implementation of climate action.
This year COP22 is key to implementing the goals set in Paris by enhancing ambition and providing support to all sectors and there are some obstacles that have to be smoothed out: The further ratification of the agreement, the gap between objectives and commitments to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, the development of financial means and the setting of a new multi-level climate global governance that fully integrates cities and sub-nationals. Concerted actions of all governmental levels are key to implementing the goals of the Paris Agreement
This nrg4SD COP22 briefing gives the most up-to-date information on the events that are relevant to subnational governments during COP22 in Marrakech 2016. nrg4SD is in regular contact with many different actors (UNFCCC Secretariat, COP22 team, UN SG team, networks/cities partners) to ensure the most effective presence at the COP for subnational governments at COP22.
EVENTS ORGANISED, CO-ORGANISED AND SUPPORTED BY nrg4SD
- NOV. 7th – 18th – Daily Briefings and Official Interventions of Local Governments and Municipal Authorities Constituency (LGMA) – At Bab Ighli; Blue Zone – COP accreditation required.
- NOV. 12th 09:00 – 10:00 – MINI SIDE EVENT: “RegionsAdapt after one year: Progress of sub-nationals leading climate adaptation” – At Bab Ighli; Blue Zone, Climate Change Studio – COP accreditation required.
- NOV. 12th – 13:00 – 14:30 – SIDE EVENT: “Sub-nationals leading climate adaptation: The Regions Adapt initiative” – at Bab Ighli; Green Zone, Loukkos, Green Zone accreditation required.
- NOV. 14th – 9:00 – 20:00 – CLIMATE SUMMIT FOR LOCAL AND REGIONAL LEADERS: Financing the Sustainable Transition of Territories – At Palmeraie Resort Conference Center, Circuit de la Palmeraie, Marrakech.
- NOV. 14th – 10:45 – 11h – SIGNING CEREMONY between La Réunion and Fiji – at Bab Ighli; Blue Zone, European Pavilion, Room Bratislava – COP accreditation required
- NOV. 15th – 16:30 – 18:00 – EU COMMITTEE OF THE REGIONS SIDE EVENT: The contribution of cities and regions to COP22 negotiations – for an inclusive climate governance (CoR, ICLEI, Climate Alliance with participation of nrg4SD) – at Bab Ighli; Blue Zone, European Pavilion, Room Bratislava – COP accreditation required
- NOV. 15th – 17:30 – 18:30 – POLICY DIALOGUE: Subnational Governments and indigenous peoples: successful stories of climate adaptation – at Bab Ighli; Green Zone, Indigenous Peoples’ & Communities’ Pavilion – Green Zone and COP accreditation required.
- NOV. 16th 13:00 – 15:00 – PROMOTIONAL MEETING of RegionsAdapt – At Bab Ighli; Green Zone, Agora of the Cities and Regions Pavilion – Green Zone accreditation required,
- NOV. 17th 13:15 – 14:45 – COP22 SIDE EVENT: Adaptation to Climate Change: National & Sub-National Coherence, Coordination and Cooperation at Regional Level (South Asia Co-operative Environment Programme-SACEP & nrg4SD) – At Bab Ighli; Blue Zone, Austral(300) – COP accreditation required.
- NOV. 15th – 20:15 – 22:00 – Gathering and exchange meeting of nrg4SD members – Place tbc – No COP accreditation required.
THEMATIC DAYS OF THE GLOBAL CLIMATE ACTION AGENDA (GCAA)
At Bab Ighli; Blue Zone. COP accreditation required.
France and Morocco’s global climate champions have set out their detailed agenda to boost cooperative action between governments, cities, business, investors and citizens to cut emissions rapidly and help vulnerable nations adapt to climate impacts and build their own clean energy, sustainable futures. The action agenda is an important support and catalyst to the early and effective implementation of the landmark Paris Climate Change Agreement.
Ms. Laurence Tubiana, French Ambassador for Climate Change and Ms. Hakima El Haite, Minister Delegate to the Minister of Energy, Mines, Water and Environment of Morocco, in charge of the Environment have published their roadmap for the agenda. They have also launched a consultative process in order to seek the views of governments and non-state stakeholders on this vision.
This year the high-level climate champions will as well as convene a series of events on selected thematic areas that will provide an opportunity to showcase action and impacts.
The high-level champions wish to provide a space for all those engaged in implementing action, which supports the objective of the Convention and the aims of the Paris Agreement, to share success, lessons learned, and best practices. Hence, allowing to identify potential synergies in their activities and to catalyze greater ambition and accelerate the pace of implementation. The High-Level Event on Climate Action will take place on Thursday, 17 November 2016 and will be the culmination of a series of thematic action events, aiming to demonstrate the progress achieved in the implementation since COP 21.
More information can be found here: http://unfccc.int/files/meetings/marrakech_nov_2016/application/pdf/hle_prov_programme.pdf
nrg4SD will be actively participating in the events of 10th November, the Showcase and Dialogue on Cities and Human Settlements. In the Resilience Showcase on NOV. 10th 11:40 – 13:00, Room Atlantic, the progress of RegionsAdapt will be presented among other selected initiatives on the topic.
For more information, please do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org