nrg4SD, in collaboration with ORU-Fogar, is pleased to launch the report SDGs at the Subnational Level: Regional Governments in the Voluntary National Reviews. Based on a consultation with 12 regional governments and associations, spanning from eight out of the total 44 countries presenting Voluntary National in the 2017 High-level Political Forum (HLPF), the report highlights important findings and recommendations on how regional governments have been and should be included in the national reviews on the SDGs.
Moreover, the report also introduces some interesting considerations on regional governments can be enabled to play its potential as drivers of the implementation, but also of the monitoring, follow-up and review of the SDGs. Whether it is through the collaboration and alignment with the national strategies, or through their own plans and projects, the SDGs can only be achieved at the subnational level with the direct support and contribution of regional governments.
The information and positions included in this report also builds on nrg4SD active engagement in the UN Sustainable Development agenda, and especially since the Rio+20. Especially as the Organizing Partner of the Local Authorities Major Group and member of the Global Task Force, nrg4SD facilitates and collects the input of regional governments committed to this agenda for many years.
As countries prepare to present their Voluntary National Reviews during the 2017 HLPF, many of the reports submitted make clear mention and recognition to the role and actions of regional governments. Nevertheless, the report informs that the modalities, and especially the communication, for inputting into the VNR processes should be improved.
Among other elements, the report also emphasizes:
- Challenge of data remains key to monitoring the SDGs progress & role of regional govts in disaggregation. This could alleviate the burden of national governments, strengthen national data systems and address inequalities within countries;
- Although 75% of respondents confirmed to be aware of VNRs, only 50% informed to be able to input to the national reviews. Responses demonstrated that understanding of the VNR process and way of contributing is still mostly unclear. Committees, working groups and commissions should be established to coordinate input and improve inclusiveness;
- 75% of respondent regional governments told to already have in place initiatives on the SDGs, while only 58% have mechanisms to review and monitor implementation. It is urgent that regional governments are further supported and involved with strategies to implement the agenda and review the SDGs progress;
- Cases of Kenya and Belgium are recommended for benchmarking of VNRs. Considering the responses from those governments and further analysis of the mechanisms in place to the review the SDGs implementation in those countries, it is praised the level of inclusivity and engagement of regional governments.
- The role of international and national associations of regional governments is crucial for disseminating and strengthening the commitment to achieving the SDGs at the subnational level. The activities of nrg4SD directly contribute to that, by facilitating the exchange of experiences and peer-review among members.
You may download the full report in this link.
Side-event during the HLPF, 13 July, 6pm – 8h30 pm
Once again this year nrg4SD will coordinate a delegation of regional governments attending the HLPF. During the 8-day meeting, UN Member-States and stakeholders will review the progress on the implementation of SDGs in the thematic and VNR sessions. Additionally, side-event and parallel discussions will be organized to provide additional opportunities to go through the many facets of the SDGs.
With this in mind, nrg4SD, in collaboration with the Delegation of the Government of Flanders to the USA and the Delegation of the Government of Catalonia to the USA, will hold the side-event Regional Governments in the 2030 Agenda, on 13 July, 6pm at the Flanders House.
During the opportunity, it will also be presented this report by nrg4SD and ORU Fogar.
For more information and agenda, please access Concept Note.